Continuing TSP contributions


Q: If I retire from the Foreign Service this year at age 50, I would like to continue to save for the traditional retirement years (after age 70). What is the best way to do that?  Can I contribute to my Thrift Savings Plan for years to come via IRA transfers using form TSP-U-60? If so, are there constraints?

A: The best way to save will depend upon your circumstances and goals. There is no correct, one-size-fits-all answer. Under current rules, you may continue to move money into your TSP account from an IRA account, indefinitely, with no limit. Keep in mind that moving money from one account to another is not really the same as contributing new money to your portfolio, and, in most cases, it’s not as important where you save the money, as that you save it, somewhere.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply