Q. Can I take advantage of an traditional IRA under these circumstances. I am retired, with a pension from my former job plus Social Security distributions. I am 70.25 years old (limit 70.5). If I am eligible to start an IRA, then how long must it remain to avoid any withdrawal penalties? And what fees are involved during withdrawals? I understand that I would only be eligible to make a one-time catch up contribution of $6,000. This move is an effort to reduce the taxes due for 2009.
A. You are not eligible to contribute to an IRA unless you have earned income.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply