Contributing to the TSP and another 401(k)


Q. I am a federal employee and contributing the maximum of $16,500 to the TSP. I also have a sub-chapter s-corporation and earn outside employment income. Can I open a 401(k) under the corporation and make additional pretax contributions to this account?

A. No. The limit applies in the aggregate.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply