IRA contributions after retirement


Q: My wife and I are retiring from federal civil service effective Sept. 30 and want to continue adding money to individual retirement accounts we have had since before our civil service careers. We will not be employed after leaving the federal government. What is the contribution amount we can make to an IRA annually?

A: If you have no earned income, you can’t make IRA contributions.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply