BRAC leave restoration


Q: I am 56 years old and fall under Base Closure and Realignment Commission (BRAC). I will have approximately 600+ hours of rolled over leave. I plan on working for another organization when my organization is gone in September due to BRAC. I would like to know if it is possible to take that leave and put it into my TSP account for catch up? I just started putting money into my TSP account recently so there is not very much there.

A: No, you can’t direct a leave payout into your TSP account. All of your contributions must come from payroll deferral or transfers from outside retirement accounts.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply