Separation and continuing to contribute to TSP


Q: I am a former federal employee who was separated after two years of service. I still have my TSP account and enjoyed how user-friendly it is. Is it possible for me to continue making contributions to my TSP account even though I am now working in the private sector? If so, how can I set this up?

A: You can’t make regular contributions to the TSP after you separate from federal service, but you can transfer pre-tax IRA and 401k money into the TSP. Contribute to your employer’s 401k plan and then transfer it into the TSP when you leave your current job. Ditto for any traditional IRA accounts, once you’re done making contributions. Visit for details and instructions.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply