Withdrawal from 401(k) or TSP


Q. Is there a way to withdraw money from my 401k or TSP without paying a tax penalty, in order to use the money to pay for college tuition for a child?

A. The rules are complex, but there are ways around the early withdrawal penalty. Read the notice at the following link for more information: https://www.tsp.gov/PDF/formspubs/octax92-32.pdf. Pay particular attention to the left side of Page 4.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply