Leaving federal service


Q. At age 56, I would have 30 years and five months of service and could retire. I am currently 51 and have 25 years and seven months of service. If I left the federal government to go into a different field of work today, can I continue to add to my TSP account?

A. You may not contribute directly to your TSP account after you are separated from federal service, but you may contribute to another retirement plan and then transfer that balance into your TSP account later.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply