Taxes on annuity


 Q. I am a Federal Employees Retirement System employee and a reservist. I have a uniformed service Thrift Savings Plan account and would like to use some of the money to buy in to my FERS annuity. Does the FERS annuity qualify as a tax-deferred retirement plan, or will I have to pay taxes on the money?

A. You’ll have to pay taxes on the money.



About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply