First RMD


Q. I reached my 70th birthday in November. When must I start taking payments from my account?

A. If you are separated from federal service, you must take your first required minimum distribution by April 1, 2013. If you’re still a federal employee, you can wait until after you leave service.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply