Q. I am a Civil Service Retirement System employee with 33 years of service, and I plan to retire June 3. Can I roll my Thrift Savings Plan into the Voluntary Contribution Program before I retire, and will I be required to pay tax on that money? Can I later roll the VCP into an Individual Retirement Account, and is it best to go into a Roth or traditional IRA?

A. You may not transfer your TSP money into the VCP.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply