Splitting catch-up contributions


Q. I will become a 49-year-old federal employee this August. I currently contribute the Internal Revenue Service maximum of $17,000 annually to the Thrift Savings Program via bi-weekly payroll deductions. I plan to begin making catch-up contributions Jan. 1, 2013. Once the Roth TSP is available, can I designate beginning Jan. 1, 2013 catch-up contributions to the Roth TSP while maintaining the IRS maximum contributions to the Traditional TSP?

A. You may split your pay deferral, including your catch-up contributions, between the traditional and the Roth TSP accounts.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

1 Comment

  1. Let all your readers know, DO NOT roll your TSP over to any other vehicle. Otherwise you will jump through hoops to get your money penalty free from an IRA.

Leave A Reply