Not a federal worker


Q. Can you recommend some funds where a retiree could put his money if he is not a federal worker?

A. Except for the G Fund, which is a cash equivalent that can’t be matched outside the Thrift Savings Plan (use a money market fund or equivalent interest bearing security with no risk of loss), the other four TSP funds are based on widely available indices. The C Fund is based on the S&P 500 Index, the S Fund on the Dow Jones U.S. Completion Total Stock Market Index, The I Fund on the Morgan Stanley Capital Europe, Australasia, Far East Index, and the F Fund on the Barclays US Capital Aggregate Bond Index. Any low-cost, exchange-traded index fund will work as a substitute for these. Try or  (Exchange Traded Funds), for examples.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply