TSP options


Q. I am planning on retiring Dec. 31 at age 68 with 10 years of FERS service. I will be 69 on Jan. 18, 2013.  What are my options regarding my Thrift Savings Plan account? Should I roll over to my Individual Retirement Account?

A. Following retirement, you may withdraw your funds from the TSP, roll them over to an IRA, or leave them in the TSP and continue to manage them. You can learn about the details at www.tsp.gov. In general, I recommend leaving your funds in the TSP as long as possible to take advantage of the unique investment opportunities available there and nowhere else.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply