Adjusting TSP


Q. I plan on retiring in 2014 but would like to leave my Thrift Savings Plan alone unless I need it or until I turn 59 (which would be 2015). I’m looking at around $180,000 to draw from. I think I would like to start with a small amount, say $500 a month, to see how that works until my Social Security kicks in at 66. Is there any problem adjusting the monthly amount I would want?

A. You may adjust your monthly payment amount once each year, in January.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

1 Comment

  1. You must submit TSP form TSP-73 to request a change to your monthly payment. Said change occur or become effective on January of the next year and TSP must receive the TSP-73 form by Dec 15.

Leave A Reply