CSRS repayment


Q. When the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard closed in 1995, I withdrew all $29,000 of my CSRS money. I had 16 years of service time at the shipyard. After years of working in the private sector, I have now worked six years (two temporary, four permanent) for the government under FERS. I was told I would have to pay back $61,000 or I would owe $35 a month when I retired (to keep my health insurance.) I do not have $61,000. I have $31,000 in my Thrift Savings Plan account. I am 64 years old and my body is worn out due to my profession (pipe fitter). Is there any way I could not be penalized for withdrawing that money, or is there any way I can use my TSP money to partially pay it back without being further penalized?

A. You may withdraw your TSP money, for any purpose you wish, without penalty.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply