Q. I am a CSRS employee who plans on retiring in 2013. I want to open a Voluntary Contribution Program account and deposit after-tax money in that account, and then, at retirement, transfer the deposit into Roth TSP, and any earnings into traditional TSP. Is that allowed?

A. No. You’ll have to use a Roth IRA for the after-tax portion of the VCP account.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply