TSP, IRA and taxes


Q. I know I can move my money in the Thrift Savings Plan to an IRA (I’m retired) and pay no taxes doing so. But can I move my TSP to an IRA outside of the U.S. and still not pay any taxes during the transfer?

A. An IRA as established by the U.S. tax code outside the U.S.? I’m not sure how that is even possible.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

1 Comment

Leave A Reply