TSP withdrawal at age 57


Q. I left federal service (did not retire) at age 57. If I opt for a lump-sum payout, will I just be taxed 20 percent? I keep seeing the additional 10 percent tax before age 59½. Also, are there additional taxes to be paid if I do not roll over into a traditional IRA?

A. You will be exempt from the early withdrawal penalty since you separated from service during or after the calendar year in which you reached age 55. If you do not roll your withdrawal over, it will be taxed as ordinary income when you file your tax return for the year of the withdrawal.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply