Transfer to L Fund?


Q. I have 10½ years of combined federal and military service and roughly $15,000 in my Thrift Savings Plan, 100 percent allocated to G Fund. I am 33 years old and nowhere near retirement. I plan on working another 22 years for the federal government and do not plan to start using my TSP until I am in my 60s. What would be the best way to allocate my contributions? I’ve had a few friends tell me to shift over to L funds.

A. If you’re not sure what to do, then I recommend that you use the L Fund that most closely corresponds to your life expectancy. For you, this will mean using the L 2050 fund.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply