Combining military, civilian TSP accounts


Q. I am 47 years old and retired from the uniformed services almost three years ago. I work as a federal civilian. I have two Thrift Savings Plan accounts and two questions.

1. Can I roll my uniformed service account balance into my federal civilian account balance? If yes, how? If no … 2. If I don’t reinvest in another tax-deferred retirement account, and elect to withdraw 100 percent of my uniformed service balance, what penalties will I pay (if any) in addition to taxes?

A. You may combine your uniformed services TSP account into your civilian TSP account. Use Form TSP-65, which is available at


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply