Combat-zone tax-exempt contributions


Q. I have both a civilian and military Thrift Savings Plan account because I was mobilized for part of 2011-12. Because I was in a combat zone, much of my income was tax exempt (CZTE). The military allowed me to contribute that tax-exempt income into my TSP. It is not a tax deduction because the income wasn’t taxable in the first place.

However, they also made contributions from my taxable income. I thought it was all from my CZTE. When I returned to my civilian job, I began to contribute and maxed out my contributions, not knowing about the earlier tax-deductible contributions.

Obviously, I over-contributed and just paid the income tax on the “overage.” But that overage is still in the TSP account.

Military: $7,450
CZTE: $13,464
Civilian: $17,540
Catch-up: $5,474 (Roth)

1. How is that taxable (and taxed) overpayment treated within TSP?
2. Can I combine my military and civilian accounts?
3. If combined, can I move the CZTE money into my Roth TSP?
4. Can I move the “overage” that I have now paid taxes on into the Roth, as well?

Both of the amounts I want to move into the Roth have been taxed or were tax-exempt when earned.

A. The usual limits do not apply to TSP contributions from CZTE pay; they only apply to contributions from taxable basic pay, incentive pay, special pay and bonus pay. The Annual Additions Limit under IRC 415c does apply, however, and it limits the total contributions from all sources to $51,000 for 2013. My guess is that the money was just rearranged in the TSP to fall under the applicable limits for the various types and that you do not, in fact, have excess contributions in your accounts. You may combine your military and civilian accounts as long as you are separated from service covering at least one of the accounts and there are no CTZE contributions left in the military account. Those must be withdrawn first, or they money will be distributed to you when your request to combine the accounts is processed. The CTZE money in the traditional TSP account cannot be transferred to the Roth TSP.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply