Q. I am a fully vested CSRS employee with the Environmental Protection Agency for 33 years at age 55. I have received my numbers, but I missed my first date to retire. How long does it take to receive my first full check? Should I take all of my Thrift Savings Plan out at once; leave about $10,000 in and roll it over to a Roth IRA; or leave it in the TSP? Is there a counselor at TSP to speak with about taxes and IRAs.

A. You should leave your money in the TSP for as long as possible and consult your tax preparer or a financial planner with your tax questions.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply