Buying back in to pension plan


Q. A client of mine retired from federal government after 16 years and took her employee contributions out of the retirement plan upon retirement. She is working for the federal government again and wants to buy back in to the pension plan for the employer portion of the 16 years she previously worked. Does she have to use after-tax dollars, or can she do a rollover from an IRA or other retirement plan?

A. She must use after-tax dollars for the buyback.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply