Early retirement


Q. If I retire early at 50 years of age with 30 years of service under FERS, I understand I’d have to wait until my minimum retirement age to receive the special retirement supplement. What reductions would I have in my retirement annuity? Would I be able to receive monthly Thrift Savings Plan annuity at age 50?

A. Mike: You may use your TSP money to buy an immediate annuity and receive monthly income payments at any age, once you are separated from service.

Reg: If your agency offers you a Voluntary Early Retirement Authority, there wouldn’t be any age-based reduction in your annuity. As noted, you wouldn’t receive the special retirement supplement until you reached your MRA.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply