RMD and still working at 70 1/2


Q. I am 70 years old and still employed by the federal government. When I am 70½, I understand I must take a required minimum distribution from my traditional IRA/401s, but not clear if this applies to my Thrift Savings Plan account. Can you please tell me what the rules are for those who are 70 and over but still working for the government insofar as taking a required distribution from my TSP account? Can I wait until I retire from government?

A. You may wait until you retire. You may also be able to transfer your IRA/401k balances into the TSP to avoid or delay future RMD. Consult your tax preparer and www.tsp.gov for information and advice.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply