TSP options


Q. I have been a CSRS retiree since Jan. 3, 2002. I turned 69 on July 14. What should I do with my Thrift Savings Plan funds at my age? What are my options?

A. You may invest your TSP money in any of the available investment funds or use the money to buy a life annuity. The investing option allows you to retain control of the principal but bring with it the risk of loss. The annuity will guarantee income for life, but you’ll give up the principal. You’ll have to determine which is appropriate for your particular situation. There is no universal solution for a 69-year-old CSRS retiree. I suggest that you start by looking at the annuity option and then use this a the benchmark for comparing the investment option.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply