TSP withdrawal option


Q. I am planning to retire at 65½ years of age. Can I withdraw monthly a certain amount between 65½ and 69½ and change to the life expectancy option at 70?

A. This is not allowed, but if you reduce your fixed monthly withdrawal to an amount that does not meet your required minimum distribution for the year, the Thrift Savings Plan will issue a payment to make up the difference and ensure that your RMD for the year is met.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply