Minimizing the tax burden of RMDs


Q. I am 70 years old and have about $100,000 in my Thrift Savings Plan accounts. Can you guide me toward the best options to withdraw the amount? I would prefer to pay the least in taxes to Uncle Sam.

A. To minimize the tax burden from required minimum distributions, you should request distributions based on your life expectancy under IRS rules. For the first distribution — the one due for the year you reach age 70½ or retire, whichever comes last) — you should consult a tax adviser to determine whether it is better to take it in that year, or defer it into the following year. If you’re not sure, it’s probably best to take in the first year.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply