TSP transfer to self-directed IRA


Q. I am 58½ and a federal employee. Can I take all or part of my Thrift Savings Plan and move it to a self-directed IRA? Or do I have to wait until I am 59½? How much tax will I have to pay on this?

A. You may not take an in-service withdrawal for rollover to an IRA until you reach age 59½.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply