TSP transfer in divorce


Q. My wife and I are getting a divorce. We are both federal employees with Thrift Savings Plans. My plan greatly outvalues hers. In my state, she is entitled to half of the value of my retirement account, and vice versa. Since we are both on the TSP, can I just transfer her entitlement from my account to her TSP account without a tax penalty, as this would be of greater benefit to her?

A. She may request that her share be transferred to her TSP account using the appropriate TSP form.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply