Canceling a TSP age-based withdrawal


Q. We have applied for an age-based withdrawal from our Thrift Savings Plan account (husband works for the Postal Service) in the amount of $16,000. However, we found out that the tax was simply too high. We have already received the check, but we are now considering canceling it. Is this allowed?

A. You can ask the TSP to be sure, but I don’t think it can be canceled. You have constructively received the payment. You may be able to roll the money over to an IRA to further defer the tax, however. There is a window of 60 days for this. Consult your tax preparer for further guidance.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply