Using TSP for CSRS redeposit


Q. Earlier in my career I was employed under the Civil Service Retirement System. When I left the government, I withdrew my retirement contributions. Several years later, I was rehired by the federal government and brought in under the Federal Employees Retirement System. Now I’m contemplating retirement and have the option to deposit my CSRS withdrawal in order to receive a CSRS annuity in addition to a FERS annuity. Can I directly repay CSRS with a portion of my TSP funds?

A. No, you may not. If you want to use TSP money, you’ll have to withdraw, or borrow, the funds from you TSP and then use the proceeds to make the redeposit.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply