TSP withdrawal


Q. I resigned after 30 years in federal government. I’m 54 years old — would I be able to withdraw my TSP and still receive my monthly retirement when I reach my MRA of 56 years old?


A. Your TSP withdrawals have nothing to do with your FERS annuity. You will have access to your TSP account after your separation, but your withdrawals will be subject to the early withdrawal penalty unless you meet one of the exceptions listed on page 7 of the notice at https://www.tsp.gov/PDF/formspubs/tsp-536.pdf.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

1 Comment

  1. Wow! I would try to rescind that resignation, if I were you. You won’t be able to get your FERS retirement until you reach age 62 now that you have resigned. MRA no longer matters. You are in the category of Deferred Retirements now. And, you won’t be able to keep your FEHB or pick it back up again.

Leave A Reply