Q. I am retired from the military with 30 years of service. I have five years of creditable service with the federal government. Can I choose to leave my TSP investments in the account?

A. You may leave your vested money in the TSP for as long as you like, subject to the IRS requirements for distributions beginning at 70½ years old.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply