RMD at 70½ years old


Q. I have a military TSP and a civilian TSP. I am retired military but still working as a civilian for the federal government, and I expect that to continue after I turn 70½. I know from your previous columns that I do not have to start taking the RMD from my civilian TSP as long as I continue working for the government. Does that exemption also apply to my military TSP? If not, can I avoid having to take the RMD by rolling the military TSP over to the civilian?

A. The exemption applies only to the account that is active and covering your current employment. You could avoid delay of the RMD on the military account by combining it with your active civilian account.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply