Spouse’s Social Security


Q. I retired at age 55 under CSRS offset. When I turned 62 I had to start drawing from Social Security. My husband is going to be retiring soon at FRA. Am I entitled to half his Social Security?

A. You did not have to start drawing Social Security benefits at age 62 — you elected to do so. When your husband claims his Social Security benefit, you will receive a spousal benefit if it is larger than your own benefit, but that spousal benefit will be reduced because you claimed your own benefit early.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply