Tapping into retirement funds while unemployed


Q. Being too young for retirement, I would like to tap into my retirement money for necessary costs of living during unemployment. After writing the Office of Personnel Management, it and the National Archives and Records Administration have advised me that they are unable to locate my records. Because it will be at least 15 years before I can retire without penalty, and I have records, I don’t care. In the meantime, can I simply request this small loan of my own retirement money from TSP?

A. You may not take a loan against your TSP account unless you are in pay status. If you are separated from federal service, you may withdraw money from your TSP account, within the rules, as you wish, however. Visit www.tsp.gov for information and forms.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply