Tax implications of TSP withdrawal


Q. I’m a CSRS retiree, age 66, and I want to withdraw a portion of my TSP savings to pay off a mortgage. Can I do this? If so, what are the tax implications or any future limitations that I may not be aware of?

A. You may do this using either Form TSP-70, or Form TSP-77, if you haven’t used it before. Your withdrawal will be added to your tax returns as ordinary income.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply