TSP funds, loan after leaving government


Q. I have a TSP with the federal government and intend on leaving employment with the VA system and go work at another facility, outside the government. Can I take my TSP with me?

Also, I have a TSP loan on which that I am making payments. If I am not working for the federal government, how does it work with paying the loan back? And can I roll my existing TSP money into a 401(a) or 457(b)?

A. After you separate, you may request a distribution and roll over this distribution into another qualified plan or IRA account, or you may keep your TSP account for life. If you don’t repay your loan within 90 days of separation, any unpaid balance will be declared to be a distribution. You should consult a tax accountant for the rules governing specific transactions. You will find more information about TSP loans and repayment in the brochure at https://www.tsp.gov/PDF/formspubs/tspbk04.pdf.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply