TSP required minimum distribution


Q. I’m a Department of the Army civilian employee in FERS. I understand that I can defer taking my TSP required minimum distribution, or RMD, at 70½ if I’m still working, but what about a 401(k) I still have at a former, non-federal employer? Do I have to take my RMD from that at 70½?

A. The RMD deferral only applies to employer-sponsored plans to which you are eligible to contribute, so it won’t apply to your old 401(k) plan account. You may be able to transfer that account into the TSP to avoid the RMD while you continue to work for the U.S. government, however.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply