TSP and divorce


Q. My ex-husband is a civilian for the Defense Department in San Diego. In our divorce, I was given half of his current TSP. The papers have been processed, and the divorce is finalized and finished. I have no idea how to go about getting my share of his TSP. My lawyer is not very good and hardly helps me. She told me to contact his employer … .with what? I have no idea what I am doing. I’ve spoken to him, and he just kept telling me he filled out some papers to get it sent to me. (This was a year ago before the papers were even processed.). Do you have any information to help? His wage garnishment has not gone through.

A. You should visit www.tsp.gov for more information. Click the “Life Events” tab on the homepage and then click on the “Divorce, Annulment, and Legal Separation” link in the right navigation bar.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply