Back door TSP contributions


Q. I am considering taking a position where I would be a re-employed annuitant and covered under a dual comp wavier. As my income looks like it would be over the limit for an IRA, what are the best ways I could continue to save for retirement while I am a reemployed annuitant and then roll those savings into the TSP?

A. If you are ineligible to participate directly in the TSP because of the waiver, you earn too much to qualify for deductible IRA contributions and you not eligible to contribute to another employer-sponsored plan, then I don’t think there is anything you can do to contribute money to your TSP account. Generally, you may only transfer pretax money into the TSP unless the money comes from an employer-sponsored plan that accepts Roth contributions.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply