TSP required minimum distributions


Q. When I separate from service I don’t want to do anything with my Thrift Savings Plan funds until required minimum distributions are required at age 71.5. What form do I use to let the TSP know my intentions, and when would I file it?

A. File form TSP-70 between January 1 of the calendar year in which you reach age 70 ½ and April 1 of the following year. When you file the form will determine how much of your first RMD will be counted in the first RMD year, and how much, if any, will be counted in the second RMD year.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply