Social Security before retirement


Q. I work for the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and am currently 65 years old. I started working for the federal government on July 4, 2010. The plan is to continue working as long as I can, past 70. When I retire it will be under FERS (born Sept. 12, 1953). Do I start taking Social Security at age 70 if I’m still working? Also, can I continue putting money into my TSP after age 70 and 1/2 (the required minimum distribution age)? Are there any other things I should be aware of if I retire after age 70?

A. You should not delay claiming your Social Security benefit beyond your 70th birthday, whether or not you continue to work. You may continue to contribute to the TSP for as long as you are working and eligible for payroll deferral. Distributions from the TSP will not be required until you are both separated from federal services and at least age 70 ½.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply