Traditional IRA contributions to maximize TSP


Q. I currently make the maximum and catch-up contributions to my TSP account and plan on retiring after 20 years of service as a law enforcement officer. I have a traditional IRA and also make the maximum yearly contribution with the idea of rolling this into my TSP post-retirement. Can I continue contributing to the IRA after I separate from government service, if I continue to earn income, then roll it into my TSP anytime post-retirement?

A. Yes, although transfers of post-tax IRA money (from non-deductible contributions, usually) into the TSP is not allowed.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply