TSP and changing survivor benefits


Q. I have been assisting a federal employee (FERS) who is looking to retire in the very near future. She is married and her husband has dementia. He is currently in hospice. She does not want to leave a survivor benefit to him and she knows she needs to get him to sign the form giving spousal consent and have it notarized. He is unable to sign due to his condition. The same would be true for a TSP withdrawal application.
What are her options? How is she able to complete her retirement application and make the necessary choices regarding her TSP without her husband being able to physically sign the paperwork?

A. She should file form TSP-16.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply