Author Mike Miles

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Q: I intend to retire in July 2010. I would like to make maximum allowable contributions to my Thrift Savings Plan during that year. Is it legal/permissable to make the maximum yearly contribution allowed by IRS rules between January and July? Or must it be over a 12 month period? A: The annual limits are not pro-rated. You may contribute the entire annual limit during a partial year of employment. — Mike Miles

Q: Can I use my health spending account or flexible saving account to take CPR and First Aid classes or buy First Aid kits? A: Neither of these appears in the list of Qualified Medical Expenses appearing in IRS Publication 502. I can’t say whether or not someone has figured out a way qualify them for payment, however. — Mike Miles

1 290 291 292