Browsing: TSP rollover

Q: I have five years of military service that I am considering applying to my federal retirement years. I have waited way to long to do this and am hoping I could use my Thrift Savings Plan monies to pay for the military service, similar to rolling over an individual retirement account. Is this possible? A: A rollover to the Federal Employees Retirement System or the Civil Service Retirement System for service is not allowed.

Q: Are federal employees allowed to contribute directly to the Thrift Savings Plan, or does the money have to come out of their paychecks? A: Contributions can be made only through payroll deferral or by transferring money from another tax-deferred retirement account.