TSP options


Q: When I retire as a Federal Employees Retirement System employee, what are the options I have in regard to my Thrift Savings Plan account? I am 70 years old and may work for 2-3 more years.

A: After you retire, you may maintain your TSP account for as long as you live and continue managing it, as usual, or you may withdraw all or part of your funds and roll over all or part of those distributions to an IRA, as long as the withdrawn funds are not part of a Required Minimum Distribution.

— Mike Miles


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply